More orientation for students
Today, we had students write the second part of their english placement test. After that we played some games with them -which I wasn't excited about at first. It turned out to be a not so bad and I got to know some of them a little. They are very respectful and seem like they will be lots of fun to work with. A few of the students speak and write in english better than most Canadian kids, but many have terrible english and it'll be a real challenge to try to find ways to teach them math.
A few interesting things:
1. Everyone has cell phones here. But the term cell phone is never used. They're called hand phones. (I don't know, maybe they're called that back in Canada and I'm just ignorant of the fact)
2. Binders don't exist. They are called ring files.
3. Paper isn't 8.5" x 11". It's all A4 paper. And the really weird thing is their hole punches. They only punch two holes into the paper (on the side, same as we would in Canada, but only 2 holes)
The weekend is here!
I don't have any plans. I don't really think that I'm going to do anything too exciting this weekend for a few reasons: I'm exhausted; I still have prep work for next week that I want to do; I don't know where anything is or how to get there besides walking -I haven't even had a chance to buy a map (apparently there are tons of streets around here with no names and the maps don't really help). There are a bunch of teachers getting together to play cards on Sat night, so I'm thinking of going to that (Just to get to know some of the staff of course; nothing to do with the fact that they're playing cards).
I'm hoping also to look into getting a computer this weekend. As I may be ordering one from Dell, it may be a while until I get it (who knows how long it takes for something to be delivered here). I'm going to try to find a way to get my pictures off my camera so I can post them...I'm hoping that'll happen within a week or so (Uh Oh, I think I'm already adapting to this place: a week just to do that?)
A few interesting things:
1. Everyone has cell phones here. But the term cell phone is never used. They're called hand phones. (I don't know, maybe they're called that back in Canada and I'm just ignorant of the fact)
2. Binders don't exist. They are called ring files.
3. Paper isn't 8.5" x 11". It's all A4 paper. And the really weird thing is their hole punches. They only punch two holes into the paper (on the side, same as we would in Canada, but only 2 holes)
The weekend is here!
I don't have any plans. I don't really think that I'm going to do anything too exciting this weekend for a few reasons: I'm exhausted; I still have prep work for next week that I want to do; I don't know where anything is or how to get there besides walking -I haven't even had a chance to buy a map (apparently there are tons of streets around here with no names and the maps don't really help). There are a bunch of teachers getting together to play cards on Sat night, so I'm thinking of going to that (Just to get to know some of the staff of course; nothing to do with the fact that they're playing cards).
I'm hoping also to look into getting a computer this weekend. As I may be ordering one from Dell, it may be a while until I get it (who knows how long it takes for something to be delivered here). I'm going to try to find a way to get my pictures off my camera so I can post them...I'm hoping that'll happen within a week or so (Uh Oh, I think I'm already adapting to this place: a week just to do that?)

3 Comments:
I find it hilarious that you have only been there a week and you are already going to scout out the good gambling rings! Good Luck with the cards tomorrow! And Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker.
Leon... I'm shocked and amazed by the length and detail of your posts! :D It sounds like you are having a fabulous time & really taking control at the school (somehow this did not surprise me at all)! I can't wait to see some pictures up on the site...
Erin
Good line, Jennie (good movie).
Erin! Glad to see you reading this thing. Hope Harvard is everything you hope it'll be. All the best with the first year of your doctorate!
Post a Comment
<< Home