Friday, July 14, 2006

I have a Job!?!

The first work week has come and gone. It's Friday! And it has sunk in: Apparently I'm not here on some extended holiday, I actually have work to do. It's been great so far.
The students are EXTREMELY quiet. Quite opposite to my experience in Canada, it is very difficult to get them to say anything at all, ever. That is, if you want them to volunteer. What I've found is that, if you simply call on students and force them to answer, they are relatively happy to do so (or make some attempt). I think they are not accustomed to volunteering and are more familiar with being forced to answer/comment. The students are very respectful and I can't see having an issue with any of them. I think that once we get to know each other and they loosen up a little, we'll be able to have a lot of fun. The other issue is, I really am not sure how well they are understanding the material. Because it doesn't matter what I do or say, if I ask them if it made sense, they all say yes. So we'll be having a quiz on Monday in all my classes. From talking to other teachers here, many first-time teachers in Asia roll merrily along teaching their classes, happy that everyone is understanding what they're doing...and then they collect the first test :(

Because this school grants an Ontario diploma, 80% of the classes must be taught by Ontario certified teachers. I guess the director did not hire enough Ontario teachers this semester, and she has asked many of us to teach a 4th class. So I have agreed (I am not doing it out of the goodness of my heart -I am getting paid for it). I have found teaching here to be quite draining, simply because they students are so passive; Thus, it is up to me to do everything. I think that as I get to know them a little better, I can vary my teaching-style a little and have them do more collaborative/investigative type things. At this point, I have tried group work once. Basically, they think group work means, everyone sit in a circle and do the work on your own-in silence. They will need much more structured co-operative learning activities. Specifically, activities that will force them to interact with others to obtain necessary info. I'm thinking of doing a Jigsaw (for those teachers out there that know what this is) next week. That'll force them to talk to each other -at least back in their home groups.

I find that, thus far, there is little separation between work and home. In fact, I have been at school each day this week from 7:30am until at least 8:00pm and as late as 10pm, with the exception of Wed. Wed I left early (at 5) to go check out some apartments. It is not that I've been here at school getting a lot done -I've actually eaten through all my prep-work and am working one day at a time. I'm not really sure what happens to all the time. I've never just sat here (except for yesterday when I slept through my lunch), but I also have not accomplished much.
Also, I don't really have anything at home: No phone line, no computer, no internet access. I did finally buy a computer. I found the address for the school and it will get shipped there. I bought it from Dell in Malaysia (I know Dave -of Dave and Jane- you're disappointed in me). If/when VISA approves the purchase (many teachers have had many issues with this), the computer should get here in 5 to 7 business days. Then I will post some photos! I know that's what some are waiting for.

It really is true. People here don't cook. Everyone eats out. I haven't yet turned on my stove. The food is very cheap and very good. You could, if you wanted, eat three meals a day for a total of less than RM15 (that's about $4.60Can). But at the same time, you an eat much more expensive meals; I had a dinner for RM100 -best steak in Malaysia! (although the steak was actually only RM40 -the drinks made up the rest. And not as many as you'd think).

The weekend is here. I have no plans. I need to do some work since I have nothing ready for Monday. Besides that I'm hoping to actually find and settle on a place to live, and hopefully find a gym in the area so that I can start working out again. If someone says, hey lets go do some adventuring or exploring, I'm not likely to say no thanks, but otherwise it'll be a quiet weekend.

A few interesting facts about the student population:
It is very diverse (but mostly from within Asia): Many are local Malaysians; some live with their folks and have a driver drive them around everyday, others board here at the school. Also, a large number that board at the school have just left their homes and parents in Singapore, Indonesia (quite a few), Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, and I even have one Oman and one Albanian.
Also, their ages range from 16 to 22. Not your typical grade 12 class!
The other interesting thing is their names. Many don't really have first names and last names -they don't make that distinction. They just have their names. And some may have 5 or 6. You ask them what their name is, and they rattle it off. Then you ask what you should call them and they'll say, Joe; or Lisa. The most interesting, however, are the students with only one name. For example I have one student named Stanley. Is it a first name? A last name? That doesn't make sense to him. It is just his name. This is actually not uncommon. I also teach (these are their full names) an Alex, a Madiono, and a Johanes.

One last thing:
I was in an internet cafe a while back and had to use the washroom. I walked in and the toilet was sunk into the floor. And instead of toilet paper there was a hose hanging from the wall. As I hadn't yet (and still haven't) figured out how to operate this system, I walked back out...and went home. I've thought of going back there to take a picture, but I think it would look very strange if some dude walked into a bathroom with a camera. As if I don't look weird enough already...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was anxiously awaiting your next post. Sounds interesting and fun. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leon, great blog. I am a little concerned that all of a sudden you are using those big 'pedagogy' type works like 'jigsaw' I didn't think you were the type. Speaking of jigsaws I have started another composite, it is Elvis, and in black and white, it is already a challenge (my aging eyesight and all). I hope the Grand Adventure is living up to all your expectations. Remember to look both ways before you cross the street.
The other MC

11:00 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

Funston! Good to hear from you man! Glad you're enjoying the blog!

You too Moira! You are right about the pedagogical terms...it was a moment of weakness. You know how people that "are SO YOUNG!" are. All the best with your Elvis!
And about looking both ways: your advice almost came too late. I have on one occasion almost been creamed by a car. For those of you out there that dont know, they "drive" on the "wrong" side of the road here. And saying "I'm going for a walk" is just another way of saying "I think I'm going to see if I can avoid getting killed by some type of vehicle"

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like the toilet story.
dont worry, i face the same problem going to the toilets overseas.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home