Pics Posted
So, I finally got my act together and posted a few pics. You can check out the galleries by selecting the "My Photo Albums" link on the left hand side. The only 2 days that I brought my camera to school with me and actually had a minute to take photos, it was cloudy, so the pictures are not as nice as they could be. Either way, it gives you an idea of where I'm living and where I'm working. Here are two photos:
This first one is where I currently live
This is the school where I work:
For more photos check out that link! You can also try clicking on a picture above and it should (I'm not sure if this'll work) take you to that specific photo album.
One interesting thing I've noticed: It is not uncommon for people to use their name, instead of the pronoun "I". So, a student named Visha will say to me, "Sir (or "teacher" some of the call me), Visha did not get a handout". It sounded weird at first, but I'm already getting used to it. Getting called "teacher" is also strange. In Canada, I would almost feel that was disrespectful, but around here, calling someone teacher seems to be a great sign of respect. After all, Jesus was called teacher, wasn't he. (That one was for you, ma).
I have never enjoyed working with students as much as I do here. I think the crux of it is that the students are appreciative. I know what all the Canadian teachers are thinking: "They do exist..." Yep, it's true. And I find that because they are so appreciative, I work much harder to deliver better lessons and activities. I think that I'm producing some of my best material yet. It is, however, consuming all of my time and energy.
Tomorrow, however, whether I like it or not, I'll have to take a little time off. I've agreed to help with the rock climbing club! I've never climbed before, but have been talking about doing it for years. I'm really looking forward to it.
And, the first meeting of the jungle trekking club is on Monday! Whoo hoo!
My next post will contain a picture of the (much anticipated) local toilet!
This first one is where I currently live
This is the school where I work:
For more photos check out that link! You can also try clicking on a picture above and it should (I'm not sure if this'll work) take you to that specific photo album.One interesting thing I've noticed: It is not uncommon for people to use their name, instead of the pronoun "I". So, a student named Visha will say to me, "Sir (or "teacher" some of the call me), Visha did not get a handout". It sounded weird at first, but I'm already getting used to it. Getting called "teacher" is also strange. In Canada, I would almost feel that was disrespectful, but around here, calling someone teacher seems to be a great sign of respect. After all, Jesus was called teacher, wasn't he. (That one was for you, ma).
I have never enjoyed working with students as much as I do here. I think the crux of it is that the students are appreciative. I know what all the Canadian teachers are thinking: "They do exist..." Yep, it's true. And I find that because they are so appreciative, I work much harder to deliver better lessons and activities. I think that I'm producing some of my best material yet. It is, however, consuming all of my time and energy.
Tomorrow, however, whether I like it or not, I'll have to take a little time off. I've agreed to help with the rock climbing club! I've never climbed before, but have been talking about doing it for years. I'm really looking forward to it.
And, the first meeting of the jungle trekking club is on Monday! Whoo hoo!
My next post will contain a picture of the (much anticipated) local toilet!

6 Comments:
Dude, the scenery looks nice over there. Glad to know things are busy too. Hopefully no more eating at the roadside stalls hehe. I meant to tell you, on our way up to Bren's cottage I tried to push for the customary stop at the outlet mall, Casino Rama and/or stops to try and get free furniture....he didn't bite. Looking forward to more pics when you get around to it. Laters
These are great pictures. It looks really nice, almost makes me want to take the trip to Malaysia. As for the students, I'm so glad you are having a good experience and I can't wait to get a hold of the materials you are creating!!! :> Your enthusiasm is contagious but I suspect it will have worn off me by the time I return to work in a year and a half. My excitement right now is watching a little boy try to roll over and a little girl try to go potty! Doesn't quite compare...haha.
Make sure you don't love it too much - we want you back here.
Keep up the entertaining posts, they make for a great read.
Hey Leo,
Awesome pics!!! Still loving all your posts and also thank you for your supportive email. Oh and on a lighter note, Andy forgot to mention a few stories but I'll let him tell you. ;)
xoxox
Hey Andy: It's good to know that the torch shall be carried in my absence.
Fletcher's Fan: I'm sure that you are very excited to watch your little ones roll over and go potty! And as for the materials, anytime! Glad you're enjoying the posts!
You too, Kathy! Hope things are looking up.
Hey brother:
I was sitting at home today having a few beers and decided that I would check your blog spot like I usually do each week. Now god knows that I don't e-mail or respond to anyone but I think that the brew has made me a little emotional tonight. So I am going to respond in the best of my fuzzy minded fashion as possible. I can not say that I am not happy for you and all of you new life experiences with out mentioning that I kind of miss you brother. In your absence I appreciate the updates and pictures of your life a broad. Now you must know that I have never been more proud of anyone in my life than I am you. I know that we usually see each other about once a year but when we do it reminds me of old times. The first time we lit up, the first time that we got drunk, the first time we went skydiving, the first time that we did anything it was uaually together. I hope that you continue to up date us with your travels and tales of adventure. As I know that we will be hanging on every word. I hope that this meets you well and that as you read this you are also fuzzy minded. If not then disregard the above you cock sucker.
Jonny
How do students address teachers back in Canada? Just wanna know more about different cultures. =)
Post a Comment
<< Home