Monday, August 13, 2007

It’s about time…

Excuses? The basics: super-busy with work; and not too much out of the ordinary goin’ on to write about. Anyhow, here goes…

I got back to Malaysia the evening before I began work, so things were a bit hectic for awhile. Classes are rolling along now. Outside of class, I have taken the reins and am running the trekking club…or that’s what we have on paper. I’m doing the paperwork, running the meetings, and making the decisions, but TMC comes on all the treks and, really, there would be no trekking club without him. We are operating under a slightly different system now (new admin at the school) and the club is going to trek around once a month. We managed to make it out to Bukit Tabur with nearly 40 students. TMC took this first group shot:



One of the new lecturers , Aaron, came out with us, and I think he really enjoyed himself; think he’ll be a regular.


While he looks quite comfortable up there, and from this perspective it looks very secure, on the other side of that rock is a sheer drop.

I also managed to get out to Langkawi for a weekend with a bunch of people (10 of us). I wasn’t going to go because I’ve been a few times already, but an Air Asia sale came along and I got tickets for $24CAN (after taxes and everything) so I couldn’t say no. It ended up being a good bit of fun. (I bumped into a former student who is on the island studying at a flight training centre there. Good to see you, Amir!) We hung out on the beach, trekked to a waterfall, and cruised around the island on motorbikes. You know, the usual. Mikey took this one:


I have a new project for this semester: I’ve taken my roommate Mikey under my wing, and am taking him to the gym with me. He decided that it’s about time he shapes up and has asked me to run the show. We’re going to do some before and after pics, so keep an eye out for those a few months from now.

Mike and I also went out one evening with four of the new lecturers (who seem like a solid bunch). We checked out the “Eye on Malaysia”. It is allegedly the largest portable ferris wheel in the world. It will be in Malaysia for this calendar year (Malaysia is celebrating 50 Years of Nationhood this year). Tried to shoot a few pics, but didn’t have enough time to really do it properly. Gonna head back sometime when I have a little more…



A while back TMC n I went to Bukit Tabur (but the other side of the ridge – a little less traveled). We got up and left home at 5:00am and planned to get to the ridge and climb it for the sunrise. We got there a bit late and never made the sunrise. He recently gave me some shots he had taken that I like, and since I don't think this post is long enough:






I have the last week in August off. Initially my plan was to head over to Bali and spend the week trying to learn to surf (always been one of my ambitions), but flights are ridiculously expensive at the moment so it was not an option. Instead I bought tickets to Indonesia’s Sumatra. I’m flying into Padang, will go north to Medan, out of which I will fly back home to KL. That’s all I know so far. I am very unprepared for this trip. I have done zero research and have only now got my hands on some material. I have an idea of some things I’d be interested in doing: there’s a mountain I’d like to climb, volcanoes I wouldn’t mind checking out; possibly do some diving, maybe try surfing (I’ve heard that there are some nice waves that hit a little island off the coast of Sumatra), and possibly check out the largest crater-lake in the world. However, Sumatra is a large island and it is unreasonable for me to get all that done in a week. I need to look into it more and make some decisions; I really need to look into their public transportation to see how reliable it is and how long it will take to get from one place to another.

Hopefully I’ll have some pics to post and something more interesting to write about in a few weeks.

Oh yeah. We moved. Same complex. Different unit. Bigger. Nicer view. Mike shot this from our balcony:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the view looks spectacular.

yes, i heard theres another trek to some waterfall? i guess you didnt join that since theres no photo or any from of mentioning.

its great to read some of your stuff again after a while.
: )

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was beginning to think you dropped off the earth....glad your keeping up the blog....has it already been almost 2 months since our nice LONG ;) visit in Guelph? Andreas is here, apartment looks great...we're super busy at the moment, but slowly settling in...your tv has been coming in handy :)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

Hey Farah! Thanks. Nice to know someone likes the writing :)
Hope you (and Hanim) enjoy Canada!!

Cher! Nice to hear from you. Glad to hear that some of my stuff is getting used and not collecting dust in storage.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home