Sunday, May 20, 2007

Been Awhile

Clearly I've been having a little difficulty recently maintaining this thing. In part, I'm not sure that I have any sort of great excitement to report. Not that things haven't been good; just not anything out of the ordinary. So, if you do read the following and are disappointed, do not say you hadn't been forewarned :)
I'll begin with a trek that I did with Tim. Now this was a trek different from any that we'd done before; A new area, one that we knew little about. We hadn't been walking for too long before we came across something that I certainly am not used to seeing on treks. A white freakin' Tiger!


Well I totally freaked out. I had my camera out, but my batteries died before I could fire off a shot. Tim whipped out his camera and started snapping (the above pic is his). I always carry a spare set of batteries. This time, however, I'd left them in our hostel. I told Tim to go on without me and ran back to the Gift Shop to buy a set. I met up with him a little further down and we continued to stroll around. Now armed with a loaded camera, I was free to happily snap away:

Tim and I had hopped on a flight to Singapore and had a day to ourselves. We spent most of it walking around Little India, the Zoo, and then the night zoo. The night zoo was quite nice.
The next day, we were joined by Chris and Mike. We joined Chris in his hunt for an iPod, strolled around Chinatown (the cleanest Chinatown that I've ever seen -anywhere), just walked around Singapore getting a feel for the place; we checked out the famous Merlion, the Raffles Hotel, and a few breweries. Singapore was nice but, besides the cleanliness, unremarkable. This is my favourite pic of the citystate: (to appreciate it, it must be viewed at a larger size and quality -you can do so in my galleries).


That was about it for the Singapore weekend. A weekend was more than enough time to check it out.
The weekend after that, I went on a proper trek with TMC to Bukit Tabur again, but this time on a different part of the ridge. This shot actually captures the spine that we usually walk.


The next weekend we took a group of students to the ridge. I also took another shot of the KL skyline, slightly better than my previous shots, but still not great


The following weekend, Tim, Mike, and I hopped on a bus to historical Malacca.


This is a town that has been occupied by nearly everyone at one point or another. The most notable remnants are Dutch and Portugese.
Melacca is considered a food Mecca, so we spent some time eating at various places. We also bumped into a few of our students. One group was on a trip with their church; A separate bump-into student actually is from Melacca and was visiting her folks. She spent a little time showing us around and bought us lunch. Thanks Kelly!

For the following weekend, a group of us, 6 teacher-friends, had tickets to fly to Sabah. We were spending the weekend at Uncle Tan's on the Kinabatangan river. If you remember, I stayed there for a few days in December. This time, I was going for one specific reason: a herd of asian elephants on migration, pass nearly through the camp.

...Will continue soon (before the end of the week, I hope)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Leon - glad to see you are still having a good time on the other side of the world. how close were you to the tiger? am in k-dub now for jane and dave's wedding... time flies. Erin

11:07 AM  
Blogger [Zero.Nuker] said...

i like your expression!

"A white freakin' Tiger!"

hahahha =P

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home