My Week Off
I'm back at work now, but had a great week off. My first day off I went to KL Bird Park and an Orchid Garden with TMC and Nee On. We took our cameras and spent the day shooting birds and flowers. I got a few pics that I really like. I think I'm beginning to make a little progress in terms of learning my camera.

A day after that I hopped on a 5-hour bus to Penang, and the adventures began...
I knew he was trouble the minute I laid eyes on him. He had a certain air about him that said, I'm a total nutbar. But, I had paid for my bus ticket and wanted to reach Penang, so I wasn't about to let the bus driver's appearance hold me back. On our way to Penang, about 2 hours into the journey, the bus driver decides to stop at a little rest stop by the side of the road. A quick 10-minute stop, he says. All the passengers are getting off the bus, so I too decide, what the hell, I'll get off, go use the washroom, and buy a bottle of water. But before I got off, I thought, what if the bloody guy leaves without me. So I took my camera out of my bag and took it with me. Gone not longer than 5 minutes, I got back to find...yep, no bus. The frickn dude had taken off. He'd left without a couple people. I was pissed. It wasn't that big a deal that I had been left behind, but I should have taken my bag off the bus. One of the other guys that got left behind came up to me and said, hey were you also on that bus to Penang. I guess he could tell by my cursing at the empty space that had held the bus not long before. Anway, I made friends with this dude, named Hor; Apparently he was a Penang local on his way back home after visiting KL. I called the bus company for proabably three hours before anyone actually answered the phone. I got through ok every time, but nobody would answer. While I was calling, we were trying to hitch a ride with some truckers to Ipoh, the next sort-of central hub for interstate buses. We couldn't do much because the place where we were stopped was not a town. It was a small, simple rest stop at the side of the road. In the middle of freakin nowhere. A few buses came through, but as it was the holidays, they were all full. Eventually, I convinced a bus driver to let us ride on the floor of his bus for the hour-long drive to Ipoh. Paid him RM10. In Ipoh, we eventually found another bus with empty seats to take us to Penang. I finally got through to the bus company and told them that the bus was coming in with a bunch of luggage on it, but without the owners. They said fine, they'd check the bus when it got in and would hold our stuff for us. As I still didn't trust them to do it, I called back every 15 min to ask if the bus got there. Eventually it did, they said they had the luggage and would hold it for us. They said, "don't worry sir. It's here. Everything is fine". In other words, "would you quit calling us! And you people wonder why we don't answer our phones." Anyway, got to Penang safe and sound and was reunited with my bag. Said goodbye to Hor and went on to meet my companion for the next few days. She became very dear to me over the week. We had many experiences together...near-death experiences. While certainly not as good-looking as Marianne, we built a bond, her and I. I snapped a photo so I would forever remember what she looked like:

These little motorbikes (115cc) are built like crap. I rented two different bikes in Penang. The first one I got, the gears were so sticky that changing from 1st to 2nd I had to smash my foot down on the shift. Eventually, I would just start the bike in 2nd and never switch back to 1st. The first thing I did in Penang was hook up with a bike, then I got on it and headed out of the city. I had a few places in mind, out in a small fishing village, where I wanted to stay. However, by this time it was quite dark out and the roads I was driving were incredibly windy and unlit. Needless to say, I got lost a few times, but eventually reached my home for the next a few days.
While there, I met another local dude, Li, who I guess didn't have much to do and decided he would take me around and show me Penang. So the next day, he hopped on his motorbike, I hopped on mine and I followed him into and around the city. Now as a local, he drove like a local: driving down the median, weaving in and out and in between cars (both going our way and oncoming). So what did I do, I learned to drive like a local. I followed him around, pulling almost all the stunts he did (there were a few times, where had I followed him, certain death would have been waiting. Other times, where only 60% or 70% death awaited, I followed without hesitation. I must say that having survived that little tour is among the most prized of my reckless achievements.
Otherwise Penang was lots of fun, I spent all day, everyday on my bike going from place to place. I checked out a tropical fruit farm (this, much to the dismay of most people, is one of the main reasons for my trip to Penang), a butterfly farm, spice garden, Buddhist Temples, Hindu Temples, Islamic Mosques and Chinese clan houses.

After a few days in Penang, I returned the bike, and got on a bus to the Cameron Highlands. But before I go there, a few other noteworthy points: I forgot to mention that it is Pulau Penang that I went to. Pulau means island in Malay. Penang is a state (on the west coast), but it is the island of Penang that I visited. This island is connected to the mainland by the longest bridge in SE Asia (overall length is 13.5km). I wanted to get some pics of the bridge, but being on it, it looks just like another bridge. I should have taken the ferry across...
Anyhow, my bus ride to the Cameron Highlands was uneventful. The bus did make a stop and people got off, but yours truly did not. First thing I did when I got to the highlands was find my companion. Yep, a 115cc-er. The Cameron Highlands are at a high enough altitude that the temp there is significantly lower than most of Malaysia. While I was there, I forgot how hot it actually was in Malaysia. At night, the temp apparently drops to as low as 10 degrees C. As the Highlands were packed (because of the public holiday), I hopped on my bike and spent a lot of my time driving to places a ways from the central town. Marianne and I have driven through Kentucky, and I remember really liking the rolling hills and winding roads. The Highlands are quite a bit roll-ier and hill-ier. And the roads are much, much worse.
But I have never had as much fun driving as I did that motorbike on those roads. I think I may buy a bike just so I can go up there from time to time to spend a weekend driving around. It was awesome.
The highlands were something else. Mainly tea plantation after tea plantation, I really love the look of the land:

While there, I spent a lot of time checking out and touring these plantations. Many were closed for the holidays, but had no problem with me just walking the hills. I also drove my motorbike to the highest point on Penninsular Malaysia that is accesible by road. It is called Gunung Brinchang (altitude is approx 6500ft). This road that had been cut up to the top of the mountain was possibly the worst and most fun of them all. I got quite lost on my way there, and by the time I reached the road night was falling. But I thought I'm already here, I'm not going back now. Anyway, after the very last farmhouse there is another 6km of road to the top of the mountain. On this 6km stretch is nothing at all. Jungle on both sides. The road is tiny. It is a two way road. Not wide enough for 1 car. And steep. I was on my bike in first gear most of the way. 6km, 15min. By the time I got to the top, Night was nearly here, but also a cloud had descended upon us. So I could see nothing. I was at the peak for literally 10 sec, turned around and went back down. If I thought going up the mountain was rough, it was a breeze next to going down. The entire way my weight was on my forearms, I was in gear to slow the bike down, and often I had my brakes on full but the bike would skid down the hill. I actually had the thought that if I were to crash, go over the edge of the cliff, or if my bike were to simply break down (not an unlikely event), I was miles from the nearest anything. I did make it back to my hostel for the night without incident, got up the next morning and went back to the top of this mountain. It was a bit easier the second time around. Although, a tree had fallen off the side of the cliff durinig a storm in the night, and I had to wait a bit while they cleared it away. (They cleared it by cutting it into pieces and putting it into a truck. By hand! No power tools!)
While on holidays, I spent a good few days alone. Just me and with my thoughts (If you must know, yes it was scary). As my beloved companion and I were taking shelter from one of the frequent downpours inside a bus station, I found myself again alone with my thoughts. I was looking out across the town, just me and my...Mr.Varga!!!!! What the? Who should it be but a group of students stalking me!!

Allegedly they were in the Cameron Highlands just to do a little camping. Nisita says that that's all they were doing there. She says they were not stalking me. I dunno ;)
Either way, while I was talking to them, Nisita asked that Monday be a free period day, so they can catch-up on work, or study for the upcoming test. Now usually I would simply laugh and say, uhhh...No. But she came all the way to the Highlands just to ask for a free period ;) I had to say yes. It was nice to see them. At the very least, I was saved from spending too much time with my thoughts -enough to drive anyone nuts.
After a few days in the Highlands, I got on a bus to Ipoh planning, upon my arrival, to get a bus to Pangkor (another island on the west coast). Unfortunately because of the holidays I couldn't get a seat on a bus there or anywhere else very interesting. So I hopped on a bus back to KL and had Fri, Sat, and Sun to do some prep work.
Overall, it was a great week. I think I needed some time to myself (away from everything). It was good. I also took one (actually 2, but the other one didn't turn out too good) picture of myself while on the trip. So, here it is:

A day after that I hopped on a 5-hour bus to Penang, and the adventures began...
I knew he was trouble the minute I laid eyes on him. He had a certain air about him that said, I'm a total nutbar. But, I had paid for my bus ticket and wanted to reach Penang, so I wasn't about to let the bus driver's appearance hold me back. On our way to Penang, about 2 hours into the journey, the bus driver decides to stop at a little rest stop by the side of the road. A quick 10-minute stop, he says. All the passengers are getting off the bus, so I too decide, what the hell, I'll get off, go use the washroom, and buy a bottle of water. But before I got off, I thought, what if the bloody guy leaves without me. So I took my camera out of my bag and took it with me. Gone not longer than 5 minutes, I got back to find...yep, no bus. The frickn dude had taken off. He'd left without a couple people. I was pissed. It wasn't that big a deal that I had been left behind, but I should have taken my bag off the bus. One of the other guys that got left behind came up to me and said, hey were you also on that bus to Penang. I guess he could tell by my cursing at the empty space that had held the bus not long before. Anway, I made friends with this dude, named Hor; Apparently he was a Penang local on his way back home after visiting KL. I called the bus company for proabably three hours before anyone actually answered the phone. I got through ok every time, but nobody would answer. While I was calling, we were trying to hitch a ride with some truckers to Ipoh, the next sort-of central hub for interstate buses. We couldn't do much because the place where we were stopped was not a town. It was a small, simple rest stop at the side of the road. In the middle of freakin nowhere. A few buses came through, but as it was the holidays, they were all full. Eventually, I convinced a bus driver to let us ride on the floor of his bus for the hour-long drive to Ipoh. Paid him RM10. In Ipoh, we eventually found another bus with empty seats to take us to Penang. I finally got through to the bus company and told them that the bus was coming in with a bunch of luggage on it, but without the owners. They said fine, they'd check the bus when it got in and would hold our stuff for us. As I still didn't trust them to do it, I called back every 15 min to ask if the bus got there. Eventually it did, they said they had the luggage and would hold it for us. They said, "don't worry sir. It's here. Everything is fine". In other words, "would you quit calling us! And you people wonder why we don't answer our phones." Anyway, got to Penang safe and sound and was reunited with my bag. Said goodbye to Hor and went on to meet my companion for the next few days. She became very dear to me over the week. We had many experiences together...near-death experiences. While certainly not as good-looking as Marianne, we built a bond, her and I. I snapped a photo so I would forever remember what she looked like:

These little motorbikes (115cc) are built like crap. I rented two different bikes in Penang. The first one I got, the gears were so sticky that changing from 1st to 2nd I had to smash my foot down on the shift. Eventually, I would just start the bike in 2nd and never switch back to 1st. The first thing I did in Penang was hook up with a bike, then I got on it and headed out of the city. I had a few places in mind, out in a small fishing village, where I wanted to stay. However, by this time it was quite dark out and the roads I was driving were incredibly windy and unlit. Needless to say, I got lost a few times, but eventually reached my home for the next a few days.
While there, I met another local dude, Li, who I guess didn't have much to do and decided he would take me around and show me Penang. So the next day, he hopped on his motorbike, I hopped on mine and I followed him into and around the city. Now as a local, he drove like a local: driving down the median, weaving in and out and in between cars (both going our way and oncoming). So what did I do, I learned to drive like a local. I followed him around, pulling almost all the stunts he did (there were a few times, where had I followed him, certain death would have been waiting. Other times, where only 60% or 70% death awaited, I followed without hesitation. I must say that having survived that little tour is among the most prized of my reckless achievements.
Otherwise Penang was lots of fun, I spent all day, everyday on my bike going from place to place. I checked out a tropical fruit farm (this, much to the dismay of most people, is one of the main reasons for my trip to Penang), a butterfly farm, spice garden, Buddhist Temples, Hindu Temples, Islamic Mosques and Chinese clan houses.

After a few days in Penang, I returned the bike, and got on a bus to the Cameron Highlands. But before I go there, a few other noteworthy points: I forgot to mention that it is Pulau Penang that I went to. Pulau means island in Malay. Penang is a state (on the west coast), but it is the island of Penang that I visited. This island is connected to the mainland by the longest bridge in SE Asia (overall length is 13.5km). I wanted to get some pics of the bridge, but being on it, it looks just like another bridge. I should have taken the ferry across...
Anyhow, my bus ride to the Cameron Highlands was uneventful. The bus did make a stop and people got off, but yours truly did not. First thing I did when I got to the highlands was find my companion. Yep, a 115cc-er. The Cameron Highlands are at a high enough altitude that the temp there is significantly lower than most of Malaysia. While I was there, I forgot how hot it actually was in Malaysia. At night, the temp apparently drops to as low as 10 degrees C. As the Highlands were packed (because of the public holiday), I hopped on my bike and spent a lot of my time driving to places a ways from the central town. Marianne and I have driven through Kentucky, and I remember really liking the rolling hills and winding roads. The Highlands are quite a bit roll-ier and hill-ier. And the roads are much, much worse.
But I have never had as much fun driving as I did that motorbike on those roads. I think I may buy a bike just so I can go up there from time to time to spend a weekend driving around. It was awesome.
The highlands were something else. Mainly tea plantation after tea plantation, I really love the look of the land:

While there, I spent a lot of time checking out and touring these plantations. Many were closed for the holidays, but had no problem with me just walking the hills. I also drove my motorbike to the highest point on Penninsular Malaysia that is accesible by road. It is called Gunung Brinchang (altitude is approx 6500ft). This road that had been cut up to the top of the mountain was possibly the worst and most fun of them all. I got quite lost on my way there, and by the time I reached the road night was falling. But I thought I'm already here, I'm not going back now. Anyway, after the very last farmhouse there is another 6km of road to the top of the mountain. On this 6km stretch is nothing at all. Jungle on both sides. The road is tiny. It is a two way road. Not wide enough for 1 car. And steep. I was on my bike in first gear most of the way. 6km, 15min. By the time I got to the top, Night was nearly here, but also a cloud had descended upon us. So I could see nothing. I was at the peak for literally 10 sec, turned around and went back down. If I thought going up the mountain was rough, it was a breeze next to going down. The entire way my weight was on my forearms, I was in gear to slow the bike down, and often I had my brakes on full but the bike would skid down the hill. I actually had the thought that if I were to crash, go over the edge of the cliff, or if my bike were to simply break down (not an unlikely event), I was miles from the nearest anything. I did make it back to my hostel for the night without incident, got up the next morning and went back to the top of this mountain. It was a bit easier the second time around. Although, a tree had fallen off the side of the cliff durinig a storm in the night, and I had to wait a bit while they cleared it away. (They cleared it by cutting it into pieces and putting it into a truck. By hand! No power tools!)
While on holidays, I spent a good few days alone. Just me and with my thoughts (If you must know, yes it was scary). As my beloved companion and I were taking shelter from one of the frequent downpours inside a bus station, I found myself again alone with my thoughts. I was looking out across the town, just me and my...Mr.Varga!!!!! What the? Who should it be but a group of students stalking me!!

Allegedly they were in the Cameron Highlands just to do a little camping. Nisita says that that's all they were doing there. She says they were not stalking me. I dunno ;)
Either way, while I was talking to them, Nisita asked that Monday be a free period day, so they can catch-up on work, or study for the upcoming test. Now usually I would simply laugh and say, uhhh...No. But she came all the way to the Highlands just to ask for a free period ;) I had to say yes. It was nice to see them. At the very least, I was saved from spending too much time with my thoughts -enough to drive anyone nuts.
After a few days in the Highlands, I got on a bus to Ipoh planning, upon my arrival, to get a bus to Pangkor (another island on the west coast). Unfortunately because of the holidays I couldn't get a seat on a bus there or anywhere else very interesting. So I hopped on a bus back to KL and had Fri, Sat, and Sun to do some prep work.
Overall, it was a great week. I think I needed some time to myself (away from everything). It was good. I also took one (actually 2, but the other one didn't turn out too good) picture of myself while on the trip. So, here it is:

10 Comments:
WAAAAA!! we weren't stalking uuuuu! blekk. I dont quite remember asking u straight for a free period. . u said u havent prepare anything for geo class and so i suggested for a free period! ahah. U used me as an excuse to the class!! =P luv the pics u took btw. the peacock is so pretty! eh. . or should i say handsome? U look more man with the beard n moustache. lol
seems like the canadian tourist could have been a reincarnation of a local malaysian who's a master at zipping in and out between cars at close proximity on a motocycle. totally cool!
the things malaysians do just for a free class period....
*shakes head at nis!*
=D
Very interesting vacation. Tea country seems tranquil.
Over here we had Fletcher's first Commencement - and yes there was a brief Paul sighting. He didn't march in with the teachers so we figured there was a granola shortage that he had to deal with but we caught him before his stage coach turned into a pumpkin! (too many fairy tales at my house I think)
The event even made Entertainment Tonight because Keisha Chante graduated that night!
It was nice to see everyone again (for me) but it wasn't the same without you. The other MC would have given you a few more things to make you go "hmmm" for sure - you know how those teachers get when they have to follow directions - she was in charge of the gowns and quite frustrated with the process! :>
Halloween was the other night and just to compare it was a balmy 8degrees celcius as we went door to door to gather the goods.
Glad to hear you had a nice vacation - keep up the interesting reading.
Hey Leon...great pics...LOVE the peacock and the tea plantation. Cameron Highlands was one of my favourite stops...great climate, and a beautiful landscape. Glad you had a great time...can't wait to hear of your next adventures.
goodness gracious me.
its been just 6 months and u're picking up traits of notorious malaysian motorcyclist.
did u know mototcyclist makeup the most number of deaths in accident for this raya holiday?its not that important i know,but it just good to notice all these things.
wah.cameron sound "lone ranger-ish"
"These little motorbikes (115cc) are built like crap"
LOL.. i cant believe u really rode that bike.. hehe.. u r really a "local".. huhu..
btw, good job nis! hehe
p/s: just wonder y u went on vacation alone..hmmm
Leo... only you could be left behind after taking a leak... tsk, tsk... take your whole bag next time! lol - Brendan
love the pictures u took.
hmm... the canadian tourist on a crappy bike?? thats interesting....
glad u had an adventurous holidays =]
I know I've been quiet for a while, but it's just that I've been quite busy and not much exciting is going on. Will post soon...
As late as I am, a few welcomes are in order:
Anem (as you call yourself): a person will travel alone for a few reasons:
1. your roommates and friends have other things they want to do
2. your girlfriend is a not-so-short 30-hour plane trip away
3. It gives you a chance to do the things you want to do, exactly the way you want to do them.
4. It gives you a chance to contemplate the meaning of life and what it is that you want out of it.
I'll have a fair bit of time for that #4, as I plan to travel alone for three weeks in December.
Bren! After an long period of silence, you show yourself in fine (true) form! Touche! And big welcome, dude!
Kelly! Nice to hear from you too! Glad you like the pics.
To everyone else: Always good to hear from you all.
Fletcher's Fan, thanks for the update.
If the other MC is reading,I don'think anyone will ever appreciate your unique teachings as much as I do!
Post a Comment
<< Home