Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I drove on the other side of the road!

So I moved into my new place this weekend. So far, I'm liking it a lot; It's really nice (I will post some pics when I get around to taking them). My new residence, Palmville, is only about a 5 minute walk from my old place, so I was lugging my stuff over on foot when a dude that I had met here a few weeks back saw me and offered me his car. He's a Canadian Chiropractor that has been living/working here for 5 years. He just gave me his keys and said, "bring it back when you are done!" It may sound silly to many of you, but I was pumped to drive on the other side of the road. It was lots of fun. It wasn't as strange as I imagined it would be, and I got used to being on the other side of the road fairly quickly. Now I didn't go driving downtown or anything like that...we'll have to see how that goes. What was the most difficult adjustment (you were right, Scott!) was shifting gears. I kept bashing my right hand against the car door as I went for the stick that wasn't there. Also, all the levers on the steering column are on opposite sides to what we're used to. So every time I went to put my blinker on, I would turn on the windshield wipers. I never did learn that one; I did it even as I was returning the car after having driven around, moved myself in, picked up my new roommates and their stuff and moved them in, and drove a local friend in to work (at a nearby bar): I saw her walking to work(it was raining, so I offered her a ride). I'm looking forward to more driving around here! The drivers here are definitely insane, though. The drivers are crazy in Toronto? Montreal? I don't think so!

I also went rock climbing with the climbing club. That was my first time climbing. It was great! This is something I can see myself really getting hooked on. Especially doing it outdoors once I learn how not to kill myself!
Also, the jungle trekking club had its first meeting yesterday. We're planning our first trek up a mountain this Saturday, pending we have transportation. Things work quite differently around here. Most of the staff (both locals and expats) do not have vehicles. Also, the school doesn't usually charter buses to go on trips. So how does everyone get there? The students drive us!! I am very unused to this idea, and not sure how comfortable I am with it, but that's the way it's done here! Basically, when students signed up for the club, they also signed up if they have a vehicle and if they can drive us to our trekking areas. This is definitely different...
The trek should be about 1 hr to 1hr45min from the base to the peak of the mountain (hill, really). But the teacher that is leading the club is a big trekker and wants us to work our way to climbing a monster by the end of the semester: An 8 to 12 hour climb! Then an overnight stay at the summit, and the descent! I really hope that this club runs smoothly and everything works out, because it sounds super-cool! We are also waiting on the director’s approval, and waiver forms for the students to fax to their parents to sign.

Another long post. I was going to start by saying that I didn't have much to say (insert your own jokes here)...

And finally, as promised:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the club works out. The climbing sounds awesome! I'm too scared to try it outdoors so good luck! I'm sure you'll be better at it. Nice pic...reminds me of Korea. I spent 20 minutes looking for a "normal" toilet.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Leo,
I too ran into those sorts of troublesome toilets in Italy. Nothing makes you appreciate Canadian plumbing like travelling! You are a brave man to drive on the wrong side of the road, stick no less! But you're a Mary's driver, so I'm sure you can handle it. Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Their hospital is something else. It looks like a resort! Malaysia looks nothing like what I pictured in my head... keep the pictures coming.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nora and ST where wondering if you've used the toilet yet? Just an FYI: Nora and ST were told the hose is to clean up after yourself if you somehow miss the mark. It is NOT to be used instead of toilet paper! (thats what Nora and St's initial thought was - although Nora and St wouldn't have been the first to try that)

11:58 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

Hey Kathy: I've gone climbing twice now and I'm really liking it. I think I may really get into it (time permitting).
Jane: If you think the hospital looks nice, just wait till you see pics of my new place (to come soon, I hope)
Anonymous: please post with an actual name. Also, Nora and ST: the hose really is to be used instead of toilet paper. If you think about it, how can you possibly get clean with paper?
At the risk of possibly being too graphic, here's an analogy that will hopefully allow you to see things from a different perspective: If you spill spaghetti and meatballs and all this great sauce all over the floor, you are not going to reach for a bunch of newspapers to clean it up. That would be ridiculous. (Having said that, I'm still happy with the absurd method)

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home