Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back from Living it up in Langkawi!!

La Dolce Vita!

So, Marianne and I flew to Langkawi for the weekend. It was a ton of fun! We hopped in a cab right after I finished teaching, got to the airport and took the hour flight to Langkawi (This is half-way across the country). Marianne (during her flight here) saw 5 different airports and says, without a doubt, KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) is by far the most efficient.

In Langkawi we relaxed on a beach, tried out local cuisine, took a cable car (allegedly the longest in the world) to the top of a mountain, relaxed by the pool, rode an elephant, had lunch while monkeys played on trees in the background, rented a scooter and booted around the island, checked out quaint, old towns, relaxed in a hammock on the beach, played with a snake (no, it's not what you're thinking: see the pics) and relaxed by the pool. Oh yeah, and got sunburned.

It was a great weekend. Relaxing by the pool and on the beach was great. My favourite part was the hammock on the beach. I'm thinking I might buy a hammock and a hammer drill and set one up on my balcony.

The views from the top of the mountain were spectacular; the pictures do not do them justice.

We loved the monkeys! We saw them first on our way from the airport to our hotel. They were just hanging out in the forest on the side of the road. Then later, while we were having breakfast at the resort, they were all over the place, playing around. I took possibly 100 pics of the monkeys (don't worry they are not all in the gallery).

The elephant ride was also very cool. Marianne and I hopped on and strolled (or kind-of lumbered) through the jungle, our guide leading the way. We got onto the elephant by walking up a set of steps and stepping into the basket, but the guide got on by stepping on the elephant's foot and the elephant lifted him up. Also, the elephant picked up the guide's sandals with his trunk and handed them to him while he was still on top. After the ride, we fed the elephant sugar-cane. Super-cool!

We went to this cute, little oriental village. There, we found this dude that was wrapped in a python! He asked if we wanted to touch his snake. Marianne politely declined. I was all for it. So, he unravelled the snake off of him and let it wrap itself around me. This pic is just for you ma!

We really liked bombing around the island on the scooter. It was a monsterous scooter (for Malaysia,that is). It was 150cc. Because it was so small, I didn't think it would be as much fun as it was. I got it going just over 100km/h, but then Marianne yelled at me, so that was the end of that. She's sitting beside me right now, yelling at me not to write the previous line...Ok it wasn't really yelling, she just got a little scared, I guess. I dunno...
In all seriousness, going around on a scooter was great! We rented it for RM40 for 24hrs (that's $12.30Can). I did barter with the guy: He initially asked for RM50. After talking to a few people back here, we found out that we overpaid. It also cost us RM6 in fuel (we drove around for probably 5hrs total).

Best weekend ever!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... sounds like you guys had a great time in Langkawi. Hi to Marianne.. See Leon, if she is crazy enough to fly that far to see you, you better not screw things up!! ;) Cuz you know we're keeping Marianne... Love the pictures, they're turning out great. Also glad you didn't kill yourself on your "easy" 2 hour hike. What's the weather like? It looks beautiful, but is it humid at all? Has it rained much?

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are amazing!!! How do you go to work everyday with so many amazing things around you!

Marianne -
Can you bring back a monkey????
Pleeeaaassseeee.....

Oh, I did want to ask... are there monkeys hanging out in the city trees as well or is it just when you get further out into the forests?
Nora

5:11 AM  
Blogger Leon said...

Hey Jane!
Can't blame you. If I did screw things up, I too would want to keep her instead of me(if I could).
The weather is quite humid; sometimes up at 90% (Marianne says ALL the time up at 90%), but I think I have adjusted (somewhat well).
Hey Nora!
The cities here really are cities. Populations of 2-3 million. So, no there aren't monkeys all over the place. In less developed areas, there might be, but unfortunately much of nature is threatened by the rapid development around here.
Glad you two are liking the pics!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leo....the pics look great...you must be really happy to have had some wonderful person who gave you the reccomendation to buy that great new camera ;)...hehe..seriously though, are you enjoying the camera...when i get a chace i'll send you a couple of the good pics i've taken here in Germany. Glad you guys are having such a great time! It looks amazing, and i'll be showing andreas the pics when we sit down to decide our mid-sept travel plans this week....
Hi to marianne! and i hope the two of you enjoy the rest of her stay!!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

Hey Cher,
The camera is quite nice. I can't, however, seem to recall who it was that recommended it...

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home