Another Waterfall!
Last weekend, the trekking club went on another hike. This time it was to Lata Lepok (Lata means waterfall).
This trek was a bit different: we were TMC-less. So, it was just me and Shimah in charge; actually it was Kourosh (in part), a student that had previously done the trek with TMC and, hence, knew the route (in theory, at least). Neither Shimah or myself knew the trail.
We had a good group of students, and with Shimah, myself, two friends of hers (Suhaizal and Habib), we were 16 strong. It was a little more stressful than the other treks simply because without TMC, there was more pressure on Shimah and myself to ensure everyone's safety. Everything went quite well, and despite having to pull out the first aid kit a few times, everyone made it out of the jungle with nothing more than a few cuts, scrapes, bruises, and broken legs.
This waterfall is a little different. It doesn't simply drop like the one at Chiling does. This one sort-of slides down rocks. The rocks have become very smooth over the years and, in fact, act as a natural waterslide. (Alright, I made up the part about the broken legs). Anyhow, a few of the students wanted to slide down the "slide". And with good reason: looked like a ton of fun, it did; Plus, TMC and Kourosh had done it themselves when they were there and had said as much. So a few of the more eager students started sliding down as soon as we got there.
As it happened, there was a dude there from some Adventure Consulting Co. that was taking some company on a little team-building excursion into the jungle. Seemed like a stand-up guy. However, he told me that he was there (at Lata Lepok) a while back and someone had whacked their head on a rock (while sliding down this sweet slide) and had died. This I'm not making up. So he advised me to, in turn, advise my students not to slide down. Since I thought that having a death on a trip wasn't the best thing for the school, my career, or the deceased student, I Kaiboshed the whole "having-fun-by-taking-advantage-of-God's-Waterslide" thing. Yep; I hardly believe it myself. Me stopping fun because things look dangerous. Who'da thunk it?Such are the burdens of responsibility. Damn you to hell, responsibility!!
Either way, after stopping the students from sliding down, it just didn't seem righteous to go do it myself. I know what you're thinking: I went and did it anyway. Nope (another surprise), I restrained myself. I will have to go back sometime on my own, because it did look cool.
No one died. No one got seriously hurt. I guess the worst part of the whole trip was that after I ixna-d the sliding, Farah called me a killjoy. (Sigh)...the burden weighs heavily...
In all seriousness, the trip went well. I believe everyone enjoyed themselves.
(check out the pics in the album)
This weekend, the club is going again. This time we're going for another mountain!
Stay tuned for tales from Bukit Kutu. Coming Soon...
This trek was a bit different: we were TMC-less. So, it was just me and Shimah in charge; actually it was Kourosh (in part), a student that had previously done the trek with TMC and, hence, knew the route (in theory, at least). Neither Shimah or myself knew the trail. We had a good group of students, and with Shimah, myself, two friends of hers (Suhaizal and Habib), we were 16 strong. It was a little more stressful than the other treks simply because without TMC, there was more pressure on Shimah and myself to ensure everyone's safety. Everything went quite well, and despite having to pull out the first aid kit a few times, everyone made it out of the jungle with nothing more than a few cuts, scrapes, bruises, and broken legs.
This waterfall is a little different. It doesn't simply drop like the one at Chiling does. This one sort-of slides down rocks. The rocks have become very smooth over the years and, in fact, act as a natural waterslide. (Alright, I made up the part about the broken legs). Anyhow, a few of the students wanted to slide down the "slide". And with good reason: looked like a ton of fun, it did; Plus, TMC and Kourosh had done it themselves when they were there and had said as much. So a few of the more eager students started sliding down as soon as we got there.
As it happened, there was a dude there from some Adventure Consulting Co. that was taking some company on a little team-building excursion into the jungle. Seemed like a stand-up guy. However, he told me that he was there (at Lata Lepok) a while back and someone had whacked their head on a rock (while sliding down this sweet slide) and had died. This I'm not making up. So he advised me to, in turn, advise my students not to slide down. Since I thought that having a death on a trip wasn't the best thing for the school, my career, or the deceased student, I Kaiboshed the whole "having-fun-by-taking-advantage-of-God's-Waterslide" thing. Yep; I hardly believe it myself. Me stopping fun because things look dangerous. Who'da thunk it?Such are the burdens of responsibility. Damn you to hell, responsibility!!
Either way, after stopping the students from sliding down, it just didn't seem righteous to go do it myself. I know what you're thinking: I went and did it anyway. Nope (another surprise), I restrained myself. I will have to go back sometime on my own, because it did look cool.
No one died. No one got seriously hurt. I guess the worst part of the whole trip was that after I ixna-d the sliding, Farah called me a killjoy. (Sigh)...the burden weighs heavily...
In all seriousness, the trip went well. I believe everyone enjoyed themselves.
(check out the pics in the album)
This weekend, the club is going again. This time we're going for another mountain!
Stay tuned for tales from Bukit Kutu. Coming Soon...

8 Comments:
My back hurts after sliding twice. It's a good thing u stop us. . if not i would have gone for more, and if i did mayb u probably won't see me in geometry class this week XD
next time, bring a helmet.
oi.oi.
i didnt mean to sound accusing.
u did the right thing, actually
ok.u can stop badmouthing responsibility now.
Everybody would think that the worst part of the trip was getting bruises, cuts, leeches but here we have mr varga going,
"I guess the worst part of the whole trip was that after I ixna-d the sliding, Farah called me a killjoy."
hm.( pondering )
Thanks for the pics!!!
You really cracked me up with the commentary for mom!
Keep it coming!!!
Nora
mr. tan. why bring helmet? armor better!
Leon? Responsible? All in the same story???? NO WAY!!! Where did our Leon go? :)
Waterfall looks gorgeous. Thanks for the update. Also, I want to know why Andy saw you making love to a parachute?
Nisita: glad to see you safe and sound in geometry all week
TMC: good advice; at just the right time too...after we got back!?!
Farah: as the pen is mightier than the sword, so does speech sting worse than leeches.
Norica!! Glad to hear you're still alive and reading the blog. Hope little Niki is doing well; and the dude too, I guess...if you still keep him around ;). Glad you enjoyed the commentary. I hope Ma found it at least somewhat humourous.
Kathy: responsible teacher Leon ended up killing your Leon. But don't fret, one day he shall, like a phoenix, rise from the ashes.
Also, tell Andy: what happens on a drop zone stays on a drop zone, dude!
Post a Comment
<< Home