It's a Jungle out There!
Let's go on a trek, he said. Should be a good time, he said. We'll take a few student's with us and have a spot o tea when we reach the summit (We had Iranian students with us; enough said). He should have said IF we reach the summit. We were in the jungle maybe 1/2 hr before we were lost. The trail was overgrown and though we searched high and low, it was not to be found.

We moved along a river for a while, periodically leaving it to search for a trail. I'm not sure how far into the jungle we got, but either way, it wasn't long before nothing looked familiar to any of the trekkers that had previously been up this mountain. This is one trek where it may have been smart to wear long pants. The jungle was dense and overgrown and my legs got scratched with every step. Not only did no one bring a parang (machete) but the number of mosquito bites on my legs from the knee down number in the thirties.
After talking to the veteran trekkers, I was beginning to understand that in the business of trekking, this is not an uncommon experience, and that as a trekker you must simply accept that you will not always reach your destination. And in spite of the fact that I really wanted to reach the summit, and my legs were shredded by branches, twigs, and other jungle foliage, and what was left of them was devoured by mosquitos, it was still a good time. Being in the wild, away from the city with all it's noise, pollutants, modernity, distractions: love it! When we found our way out of the jungle, we stopped by a little river, had a swim and relaxed in the sun. No tea, though. Our trusty Iranians, Amir and Kourosh, said that tea shall be reserved for those mountains we summit. Fair enough. One super-cool part of trek: I got to see a pineapple growing! Who knew that they grew on shrubs?

All in all, A good time was had, and we were only lost in the jungle for a few hours! If I am progressing in small steps, those occasions where we are, or I am, lost in the wilderness for days are not far away (Like Moses and his people, I shall wander the wilderness for...alright enough of that).
And I say to Bukit Kutu, even as he roars with mighty laughter at our pitiful attempts of conquest, "One day, I shall return, Kutu, and we shall see who laughs longest" (To those interested, you can check out TMC's comments on these treks at his website, www.mchwen.com/blog)
On another note to my faithful readers in the West: You may have noticed that my blog has been compromised. My students have found its location and are now reading it! While in a previous life, this may be cause to completely shut down the blog and start a new, covert blog; here I shall simply say that we (myself and readers in the motherland) should just somewhat sensor some of what is written. By that I mean, let's try to keep things PG, people! (You know who you are...you also know who I am, I guess; and thus you realize that this pertains as much to me as to some of you).
All kidding aside, I will continue to write this with my overseas readers as the intended audience (I guess that is until I figure that there is no one out over the great blue that still reads it).
One concluding note. Last Fri, a bunch of students took Mr. TMC and myself out to Steamboat! It began in class like this: Gab says, "Mr. Varga, you know what steamboat is?" I say, "What am I, uneducated? Of course I do: it's a boat that steams" So with that, Gab and Judith decided to remedy my serious lack of knowledge. As I didn't take my camera, I have no pics, so here goes my attempt to conjure up a visual. It's an all-u-can eat buffet: they've got a bunch of meats, veggies, seafood, all of it raw. There's a pot in the middle of the table with a divider in between (creating two min-pots, if that makes sense). One side of the pot was full of chicken stock, the other, Tom Yam. The pot sits on a burner. You just go over to table of foods, load up your plate and dump your stuff into the pot, let it cook for a few minutes, and voila! It was sweeet! Good stuff! (The cost was about 7.50CAD including a drink). I am definitely going back soon. To all the students that took me out (Gab, Judith, Yu Cheng, Nisita, and local Amir), thank you very much; it was lots of fun.

We moved along a river for a while, periodically leaving it to search for a trail. I'm not sure how far into the jungle we got, but either way, it wasn't long before nothing looked familiar to any of the trekkers that had previously been up this mountain. This is one trek where it may have been smart to wear long pants. The jungle was dense and overgrown and my legs got scratched with every step. Not only did no one bring a parang (machete) but the number of mosquito bites on my legs from the knee down number in the thirties.
After talking to the veteran trekkers, I was beginning to understand that in the business of trekking, this is not an uncommon experience, and that as a trekker you must simply accept that you will not always reach your destination. And in spite of the fact that I really wanted to reach the summit, and my legs were shredded by branches, twigs, and other jungle foliage, and what was left of them was devoured by mosquitos, it was still a good time. Being in the wild, away from the city with all it's noise, pollutants, modernity, distractions: love it! When we found our way out of the jungle, we stopped by a little river, had a swim and relaxed in the sun. No tea, though. Our trusty Iranians, Amir and Kourosh, said that tea shall be reserved for those mountains we summit. Fair enough. One super-cool part of trek: I got to see a pineapple growing! Who knew that they grew on shrubs?

All in all, A good time was had, and we were only lost in the jungle for a few hours! If I am progressing in small steps, those occasions where we are, or I am, lost in the wilderness for days are not far away (Like Moses and his people, I shall wander the wilderness for...alright enough of that).
And I say to Bukit Kutu, even as he roars with mighty laughter at our pitiful attempts of conquest, "One day, I shall return, Kutu, and we shall see who laughs longest" (To those interested, you can check out TMC's comments on these treks at his website, www.mchwen.com/blog)
On another note to my faithful readers in the West: You may have noticed that my blog has been compromised. My students have found its location and are now reading it! While in a previous life, this may be cause to completely shut down the blog and start a new, covert blog; here I shall simply say that we (myself and readers in the motherland) should just somewhat sensor some of what is written. By that I mean, let's try to keep things PG, people! (You know who you are...you also know who I am, I guess; and thus you realize that this pertains as much to me as to some of you).
All kidding aside, I will continue to write this with my overseas readers as the intended audience (I guess that is until I figure that there is no one out over the great blue that still reads it).
One concluding note. Last Fri, a bunch of students took Mr. TMC and myself out to Steamboat! It began in class like this: Gab says, "Mr. Varga, you know what steamboat is?" I say, "What am I, uneducated? Of course I do: it's a boat that steams" So with that, Gab and Judith decided to remedy my serious lack of knowledge. As I didn't take my camera, I have no pics, so here goes my attempt to conjure up a visual. It's an all-u-can eat buffet: they've got a bunch of meats, veggies, seafood, all of it raw. There's a pot in the middle of the table with a divider in between (creating two min-pots, if that makes sense). One side of the pot was full of chicken stock, the other, Tom Yam. The pot sits on a burner. You just go over to table of foods, load up your plate and dump your stuff into the pot, let it cook for a few minutes, and voila! It was sweeet! Good stuff! (The cost was about 7.50CAD including a drink). I am definitely going back soon. To all the students that took me out (Gab, Judith, Yu Cheng, Nisita, and local Amir), thank you very much; it was lots of fun.

12 Comments:
Of all the pics you took, you had to choose that pic showing me leading the pack into the unknown...
You betcha!
I'm not gonna let you forget this one for a while (I don't think any of the pack will)
Of course there are still people reading - you're very entertaining.
Parts of your adventures sound like Survivor - the bug bites etc.
Nice to know the students can have fun WITH you! What a different experience.
Glad to hear you are having a blast.
lol...
mr tan will be the death of us one day.
jk, jk! hahaha
"..ere I shall simply say that we (myself and readers in the motherland) should just somewhat sensor some of what is written. By that I mean, let's try to keep things PG, people!"
says the guy who writes ASS
( angle,sides,sides)in big capital letters on the whiteboard.
dont worry,dear "faithful readers in the west",we're all above 18.
p/s i love steamboat.make that i like the all you can eat concept.
Uh, I'm going 18! so almost.
Mr Varga : I have that video of you trying to get that "seafood thing" out. XD.
i'm not 18 yet =(
so sad...
Will do, I'll let Andy know and keep his mind out of the gutter. Glad to hear there's still a little Leo left in you...getting lost. ;)
On the western front, things are going well. We're going out for Erin's birthday this weekend, Oktoberfest is coming up. Jeff Lavery and his wife are having a baby this spring. Elaine and her husband are having a baby this spring.
Bren got his cottage stuff moved so now they're ready for the rebuild. I am employed now but also continue to have interviews coming out of the woodwork.
That's about it. Have a good one!
Hey now.....my mind is never in the gutter! Only clean thoughts come from me! There's no news that Kathy hasn't updated. Except that MAYBE should have not mentioned the "us going out for Erin's bday" thing since it still may be a surprise and she may venture onto here, but don't quote me on that.
Mmmm. So you enjoyed the hotpot eh? There's an awesome place in Mississauga that does that...except it's not on a boat. It has a bowling alley attached right to it though and you can hold hotpot bowling parties. Go Club 300.
HEY VARGA!!!
Where the heck are you???
I'm got a chair with your name on it here at Stephen Lewis when you get back.
Hope you're enjoying yourself. Sounds like you are!!
PAul
deep apologies for the "handout incident".
should've done that to a teacher.
deep apologies for troubling you, really.
please dont mind my bad manners.
just one of those days.
keep on rocking with the baju melayu revolution.
: )
I wasn't planning on making a comment at this time. I was simply planning on checking to see what was here. But this is something that needs response:
Alves Spotting! Alves Spotting! While it may not be a visual, Paul has been "seen", people!!! Note this on your calendars. He is alive and (hope [you] are) well, Paul. Between running a school, deciding what the future of education should look like, raising a family, and the million other things you do during the 20 hours of the day that you don't sleep, you took the time to put your mark on my weblog. Honoured.
I'm doing great, by the way. I don't talk much about the teaching on my blog, but it's a lot of fun. Many of your pedogical ideas and influences on me are being put into practice here (and I am seeing some amazing things happening in my classes; not everyday, but still). Hope everything's great with you, and that you're having fun with your new school!
Fletcher's Fan: Always a pleasure hearing from you! I imagine you are having adventures of your own (with your little ones); Although they are of a different nature, I hope you're having a blast, too.
Andy, Kathy, Everyone in that end of the world: Hope Erin's Bday was fun. Tell her, I hope Harvard is everything she hoped it would be! And tell her to teach them a thing or two while she's there!
To my "anonymous" post: I'm not even sure what this "incident" is. So, don't worry about it. You are much too hard on yourself -ALL the time! Stop!
Glad you're liking the change of attire!
To everyone else: I'll explain that attire thing a little later.
Post a Comment
<< Home